[Dixielandjazz] OPERA Celebrates a 400th Anniversary - WillOKOMdo the s...

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Tue Feb 27 16:13:06 PST 2007

> Isn't the 100 anniversary of Jazz, at least the first recording, 1917?
> Thus the 100th anniversary would be 2017.
>
> Come to think of it, Dan Levinson is doing a 100th anniversary concert
this
> year.  I wonder how he figured the dates?
>
> --Bob Ringwald

The again, Brian Rust's book "Jazz Records - 1897-1942" would argue against
this.
IMHO 1917 is the first recording of a band that had "Jass" in it's name.
Even Wilbur Sweetman recorded "Down Home Rag" in 1916.in
Tom Lord's discography goes back to 1896 but that is a Joplin piano roll.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia