[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: The Tune Sleuths

rorel at aol.com rorel at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 15:45:40 PST 2007

  An ASCAP License is no big deal for most listers here. I regularly get one for any and all programs I do that are self-sponsored shows with any kind of visibility. The fee is actually quite modest. For example, when Billy Joel played Central Park sometime ago to how many thousands of people, the fee was $500. I usually pay $35 for an evening's worth of music performed in front of approx. 200 people. An annoyance? Perhaps. If you ask me, $35 is a small price to pay to support our fellow composers and their administrators. Besides, while the fee is modest in advance, I would imagine it is considerably more expensive if you are caught in the act.

 I am SURE all of you who took me to task for donating time playing at nursing facilities will SURELY applaud the fact that composers and administrators are receiving the monies due them. And I am also SURE that you 'professional musicians' who berated my actions, ALWAYS file for these licenses yourselves, when necessary. If you were unaware that such a license was necessary, I am SURE you WILL file in the future.

 I am also SURE that someday I will grow a tail and fly to the moon on broomstick. I wonder which will happen first?

 Ray Osnato
 Leader of the Massachissetts Jazz Band, Ray Osnato and the Salem Aleichims