[Dixielandjazz] Herlin Riley

loerchen2 at aol.com loerchen2 at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 11:38:35 PST 2007

Dave,

I think Herlin is fantastic; he can play a different rhythm with each hand and foot, and have it all come out perfectly.  My other favorite traditional drummer (and teacher) is Hal Smith.

However, you should keep an eye on James Alsanders; he's young and relatively new at trad jazz, but has a wonderful feel for the music and is listening to all the right stuff (Dodds. Barbarin, etc.).  He's been accompanying the band in the show "Looking for Josephine" in Europe for the last 5 months, so is getting a lot of practice in 1920s-30s music.

Sue

*********
Since I am only a rudimentary drummer  I can only go by my personal
preferences on this: for me, the best modern drummer who captures the
flavor of early New Orleans style has to be Herlin Riley.

I have heard him many times with a lot of groups, a lot of different
styles - I like his tasty cymbals, back-beat, quiet snare press
rolls, and the way he doesn't overplay! (until it is time to "rock
out!") I don't think he is imitating Dodds at all - he has found a
way to incorporate NO brass band drums, early jazz and modern styles
altogether.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Herlin_Riley.html

Any inputs from the list drummers?

Dave Richoux