[Dixielandjazz] Riverside records

Jerry Brown jazzjerry at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 26 14:54:22 PST 2007

Brian,

By Riverside I presume you mean the label which is
part of the Fantasy Group with the George Lewis, New
Orleans Legends and other similar albums. If it is
this one you are on a hiding to nothing. The whole of
the Fantasy stable wich includes Good Time Jazz,
Riverside, Prestige, OJC and others was taken over at
start of last year by Concord Records. They then
stopped any European distribution which was through a
firm in Germany (ZYX) and in the UK through Ace and
quiete simply nopw there is no source of supply in
Europe. Distribution is officially through Universal
but they will not import anything from the States.
Many of the albums are listed as available through the
Concord Records website but only to the US. The site
refuses any orders from the UK.

It is another example of record labels taken over by
accountants and if something will not sell 20000
copies then trhey do not want to know. The tie up with
Universal has ruined Concord Records in the UK and
Europe and is doing the same to the Fantasy Group
which did have an excellent European set up.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.