[Dixielandjazz] Al Viola RIP

Ron Wheeler ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 24 04:57:32 PST 2007

In the words of our buddy Steve Barbone, "Not OKOM", but anybody who played
with Sinatra for 25 years had to be playing SKOM - somebody's kinda music.

Al Viola

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Al Viola, a guitarist who worked with Frank Sinatra for
25 years and played the mandolin on "The Godfather" soundtrack, died
Wednesday. He was 87.

Viola died of cancer at his home in Studio City, said his wife, Glenna.

Viola performed with Sinatra at concerts, on recordings and in television
specials. He is heard on such Sinatra hits as "My Way" and "New York, New
York." The singer once called him "one of the world's great guitarists."

The two met after World War II in Los Angeles, where Viola was performing
with the Page Cavanaugh Trio. He quit the group in 1949 and became a studio
musician. In addition to "The Godfather," he is heard on numerous TV and
movie soundtracks, including "West Side Story" and "Blazing Saddles."

He also appeared on more than 500 albums for artists ranging from Neil
Diamond to Marvin Gaye.