[Dixielandjazz] Crappy pianos - the solution

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 24 01:51:30 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: JOHN FARRELL
To: DJML
Sent: 23 February 2007 21:28
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Crappy pianos - the solution

I've discovered a way to eliminate bad pianos for ever - you will find it
here :

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/piano/video/x8yyf_la-catapulte-a-pi
ano
~~~~~~~~
Most effective ;-) Reminds me of a BBC TV news clip from, IIRC, the 1950s
when the aircraft carrier, HMS Eagle, was re-commissioned after a refit. One
of the wardrooms was presented with a new piano, so the old upright was
dispatched in style by the steam catapult off the flight deck.

I've just downloaded the next clip, the Count Basie Quartet, tho' being on
dial up it took nearly 45 minutes ~ but was well worth it. Video quality
isn't brilliant but the excellent sound has been recorded straight to
MiniDisc. Takes me back to April 1962 when I saw the whole band on stage
at the Gaumont, Watford. I wonder if their version of "Old Man River"
was ever captured on film/video, would love to see/hear that again.
~
John D