[Dixielandjazz] Lena Horne - Jazz Singer

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 23 10:16:42 PST 2007

Dingle wrote about Lena Horne being a jazz singer. I agree completely.

Funny how the greats like Ms. Horne get categorized by the public and (as
Don said), A & R men, record producers and so on.

If we google Lena's various biographies the phrase; "She was never really
considered a jazz singer because she doesn't improvise." pops up
continually. On Wikipedia, Parasbrisas and others. The reverse is also true
on lesser known sites that categorize her as a jazz singer.

And in 1995 she won a Grammy for "BEST JAZZ VOCAL PERFORMANCE". It was for
her album, "An Evening With Lena Horne" which was recorded live at Denoyer's
Supper club in NYC. That performance, with the Basie Band, is what I saw on
TV last night and posted about.

No doubt in my mind that was a jazz performance. Doesn't improvise? Sure she
does. She forgot some of the words to "Lady Is A Tramp" in mid-song, said "I
forgot the words but don't worry, I'll make some up" and she did, without
skipping a beat. She also sings outside the strict melody line of several
tunes, preferring her own and that's jazz.

Favorite Lena quote? "In my early days I was a sepia Hedy Lamarr. Now I'm
black and a woman, singing my own way."

There is also a cute story on the web about a WW 2 vet who claimed he danced
with Lena Horne at the stage door canteen. His kids never believed him. When
the man passed away, they found a worn note in his wallet saying: "Save the
last dance for me, Lena Horne." They buried the note with him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone