[Dixielandjazz] The mystery of B Flat

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 20 09:07:45 PST 2007

I've noticed that occasionally if a guitar Bb is played into a mic with an
amp that has a 60-cycle "hum", the resulting sound of the note from the amp
is MUCH louder than others surrounding it. 60-cycles is "almost" one of the
lower octave Bb notes (58.27 hZ). The two waves would amplify one another
and produce a loud "beat" like piano tuners use.

I wonder if this phenomenon happens with the note G in countries whose
electrical grid frequency is 50-cycles per second rather than 60.

Also, many aquatic animals (reptiles, fish) respond to the electrical
signals given off by prey in their surrounding water. I would not be
surprised if such beasts can detect the electric grid frequency in the
water. I'm not sure how these two different wave forms could interact, but
maybe the audible note frequency somehow intensifies the sensation of the
electrical signal present in the water.

Just musing...

Scott Anthony