[Dixielandjazz] Double-Belled Euphonium

dhs2 at peoplepc.com dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Sun Feb 18 20:05:04 PST 2007

Dear Listers:

I am not a double-bell euphonium expert, but I have played
alongside one, and played it some once upon a time.  The purpose of the DBE
was to provide two different sound qualities with one instrument.  The big
bell provided the euph/baritone sound, rich and mellow.  The smaller bell
was to provide a more open, trombone-like sound.

My prep school had an old silver DBE (this was during the 60s, so I am
guessing the horn dated from the 20s).  My comments on the genre are a bit
colored as a result of playing it, but I found the tone of the smaller bell
rather like an off-key foghorn.  It was more open, but did not measure up to
a real trombone.  What's more, the two sides of the horn were not in tune
with each other, so that to switch over you would have to re-tune the
instrument, and could not simply switch back and forth.  As I say, this was
an old instrument, and pitch was a bit of an adventure anyway.  The euph
player usually didn't bother with the second bell except for performances,
and then it was strictly for show.

I guess that others must have found the sound of the second bell lacking, as
well, because the DBE pretty well went away.  I am not aware of any
instrument manufacturers building them today.  Several years ago, there was
a York DBE on E-Bay that had been put together from components.  That is,
the York was a euphonium to which someone had grafted a valve and a second
bell salvaged from another brass instrument--a trumpet, alto horn or small
trombone.  I would have been interested in hearing the York.  A horn made up
of components and well put together might approach the unrealized promise of
the concept.

The double-belled euphonium certainly provides a unique visual aspect, and
is a good novelty instrument for that reason.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX