[Dixielandjazz] Guitar Keys

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Feb 11 20:29:03 PST 2007

Kris wrote:

 >I wish we had a Dixieland, Jazz or Blues band here.
> Unfortunately, I live on the Redneck Riviera, so I just adjusted, expanded
> and learned to play in "those keys" - even if it is a sin.

(snip)

 Kris, I think someone was just joshing you a bit when he told you not to
play in those keys.

It is always to your benefit to be able to play in all keys.

I play a lot of cocktail hour and dinner (background) music gigs.  It is
incredibly boring work.  To break the monotony, I sometimes play in odd keys
such as F sharp, B, E, A, D, etc.

Believe it or not, this sometimes comes in very handy.

here are two examples:

1.  This has happened with several amateur singers.  We will determine her
key.  I give an intro & wham! she starts off in another key, usually one of
the ones that we are not used to playing in.  No problem, I just quickly
change to her key & finish the tune.

2.  One time I showed up on a gig where the piano was a half tone flat.  The
band leader was beside himself.

I said, "No problem."  I played the whole night a half tone sharp from the
band so that my keys matched the key that the band was playing in.  If they
were in F, I played in F sharp.

If they were in Eb, I played in E.  If they were in Bb, I played in B, etc.

--Bob (Who moved the piano?) Ringwald