[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free vs undermining the pros

Rorel at aol.com Rorel at aol.com
Mon Feb 12 03:53:10 PST 2007

In a message dated 2/11/2007 9:03:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
larrys.bands at charter.net writes:

RO--(I  refer to my irregular gigs, not to my my physical appearances, which
are  irregular enough). My coming in is a little langiappe for the residents
and, IMHO, hurts nobody.

LW---That might not be entirely  true.  How do you know that they didn't
count you in their paperwork  back to corporate as an hour of entertainment.
Entertainment directors are  under the gun to provide so many hours of
entertainment each week.   The more free the better.  As I understand it
entertainment is now a  requirement (could be wrong).  You may just have
added another  $60-$100 profit to the corporate guys that they didn't have to
pay  for.  Sounds cynical but business is business.

This is last time I will publicly defend my position on offering an
occasional service free-of-charge.  The list may argue it until doomsday,  but it will
not change my position.  I leave it those who feel the need to  seem to be
right to have the last word.  Ostracize me if you  like.  I assure you, I will
lose no sleep over it.

Nobody counts on me.  If I go into the same facility once or twice a  year it
is a lot.  If budget planners work me into their charts, then the  problem is
with them, not with me.

Our society is predicated on the assumption that people will do the right
thing.  How do you know any donation goes where it is supposed to go?   How do
you know somebody in the corporate offices doesn't use it for their own  gain,
financial or otherwise?  Sure, let's not do anything for fear of  misuse.

I would imagine there are as many seniors being parked in front of a TV in
this country for hours at a time with minimal outside entertainment as there
are  those who enjoy a full schedule of events.  Even if I am wrong on that
count, I am sure that there are many facilities where they cannot find musicians
who OKOM, which is what many seniors prefer.  Let's just let them sit  there
for, after all, business is business.

Ray