[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Free

rorel at aol.com rorel at aol.com
Fri Feb 9 14:59:20 PST 2007

 I try to play for free whenever I have time. Many Saturdays, rather than sit around watching the Hogan's Heroes reruns, I'll call a nursing home at random and ask if they would like someone to come in later in the day to lead a sing-a-long with the residents. On vacation, I usually try to stop by the local nursing residence, and in the rural areas, they are more than happy for any new face to be kind to the people there. Every Thanksgiving my wife and I work a soup kitchen and, after serving, we play flute and piano music during dinner. I believe that if you have a talent, no matter what it is or how meagre it may be, it is your responsibility to share it freely with those in need.

 Promotion? Hardly. Does it benefit me? Oh yes, more than I can say.

 Respectfully submitted,

 Ray Osnato