[Dixielandjazz] What kind of music do you play?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 17:58:44 PST 2007

If that question is asked by a prospective client, almost any working
musician will tell you that the answer is usually; "What kind of music do
you want?" or "We play all kinds of music except acid jazz." or "We play all
kinds of music and we play it well." etc.

On the other hand, if a young lady asks the question, they'll usually say
"jazz" to appear hip and with it. :-) VBG

The key to answering that sort of a question is to find out what the client
wants and then tell him/her that's what you do. If you are sales oriented,
you'll answer the question with a question of your own, like "what are you
looking for", and then take charge of the conversation by asking other
questions and steering the prospect towards wanting your band because your
band plays exactly what he/she wants.

On the other hand, (in the USA) if you only play 1923-1928 specialized, New
Orleans Uptown Jazz then chances are you aren't going to get the gig anyway
unless that's exactly what the client wants. So give that narrow answer.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone