[Dixielandjazz] Another Voice on Music Security

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 11:29:32 PST 2007

Steve,

  It's strange that you say that iTunes is worthless without the iPod.  I used iTunes for many, many months before I got the iPod. I use the software to both store music and burn CD's for use in the car, etc.  I also use iTunes to download free podcasts, not only OKOM, but brass bands, orchestra, as well as radio programs and a variety of other things that strike me from time to time. Some of the free radio programs I also burn to CD in AAC format for interested parties who are not technology friendly. Anyhow I still use iTunes more frequently than the iPod itself...

  Kay

eupher dude <eupher61 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  The Apple story from this week deals with encryption to prevent
distribution, rather than pure copyright. Part of the problem is the fact
that Apple has its own little version of DRM software, so you can't play
iTunes files on any other media aside from the PC you downloaded, a single
CD, and an iPod. While that prevents distribution, it also means iTunes is
sort of worthless unless you buy an iPod.

OKOM content: Webster Records http://jazzbymail.com (ahhhhhhh...I have
family within a mile of the shop!!!) is offering 192 mb mp3 downloads. They
ain't quite CD quality, but a lot better than most mp3's around. It's not
available on every disc, or even really very many, but it's happening!

steve

(thanks, Janie, for sending that article!)