[Dixielandjazz] Piano Aids

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 09:48:18 PST 2007

> Criss asked about playing piano with a band, how to get the syncopation etc. .

One of the best ways to get with band syncopation is to use the play along
aids by Jamey Aebersold. See his website and ask them to send you the
printed catalog (FREE).

See: http://www.aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Click on the "catalog" bar at the top of the page and get one sent to your
home.

There are 120 or so "play along" CDs that you may choose from to get to play
with a rhythm section and they will get you accustomed to playing with a
band and/or comping in any jazz style.

There are also many CD/books about "how to do it" including Dixieland piano
CDs, like "DIX-P", and/or books like "The Art Of Comping" by Jim McNeely
(book & CD) wherein the sound mix allows you to delete the piano and play
with the band, by switching your stereo channel to Right or Left. etc.

If after you look the catalog over, you have any questions, write me off
list and I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone