[Dixielandjazz] Charity events

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 09:20:08 PST 2007

Gleaned from the TPIN this morning...
Snip...

Last year I was approached by one of the major fundraising telethons to
have one of my groups perform as part of the show. I said sure and
quoted them my price. I was met with stunned silence and then "Well,
aren't you going to play for free? After all, it's for charity." I
asked if the camera operators were working for free, if the audio techs
were working for free, if the caterer's were working for free, if the
security people were working for free. I was told no, but that
musicians were different. "Don't you guys play because you love it?"

Warmest regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Drive,
Lodi, Calif., 95242