[Dixielandjazz] Promoting Your Band

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 07:23:24 PST 2007

Following clip is from the "Isound" blog. Worth a read if you don't have
enough gigs. To see the complete article on band promotion band, go to:

http://www.isound.com/artist_blog/getting_better_is_all_about_promotion_prom
otion

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Promotion! Promotion! Promotion!
Not much has changed since the "master of promotions," P.T. Barnum,
attracted the masses to his world famous circus shows with his creative
advertising and promotional schemes. Barnum correctly stated to the world
"Without promotion something terrible happens... Nothing!"

Many of us believe that if we become exceptional performers... success will
automatically follow. Well, I can guarantee that you'll always be playing
for friends and family unless you let people know who you are, what you can
do... and where they can find you. In order to advance a performing career
today, you'll have to be pretty darn good and you'll likely have to take
responsibility for your own success and take full charge of your destiny.
Only you can make the initial effort to get noticed. You'll have to take
some chances, develop some basic negotiation skills and learn how to better
market yourself and your talents. Here are the basic steps to success.....