[Dixielandjazz] Doodle tonguing ??

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 7 21:48:58 PST 2007

Think I've heard this term before and can't argue that McChesney may
have written it
that way, but I think the original term for that was "double-tongueing".
(there's also
"triple tonguing" -- in which doouble tonguing is using the tongue and
back of the mouth (Pallete?)
alternately to produce a quick pair of notes using the sylables "tu-ku"
as in
tu-ku-tu-ku-tu-ku-tu-ku for 8 fast notes in a row and triple tongueing
is tu-tu-ku, tu-tu-ku
to turn out 2 sequential triplets. Standard in classic trumpet teaching
any way.
This takes constant practice.- easy on the same note, -- a bitch when
trying to
coordinate the fingers and these mouth contortions at high speed.(on
trumpet)
I would think even harder on slide(!)  trombone.

As Yogi Berra might say: "If that's not it then it must be something
else that's the same."

Craig  (I don't double  tongue anymore since I got my upper plate) Johnson