[Dixielandjazz] Re-Forming a Band

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Tue Feb 6 16:30:31 PST 2007

Ron wrote:

The leader of the band I have been in for 23 years has moved away and given
me the band.  Unfortunately, I'm the only one left in it.  The clarinet
player, a snowbird, retired, the drummer's wife retired him.  The piano
player is a snowbird and I'd like to get someone with a different style.  So
now I have to find replacements for these players and I don't want people
who flee New England for Florida during the winter.

1.  I'd like opinions about the best way to find new people (I do have some
things in mind)

2.  Are there members of this list in the Providence, RI area (roughly- the
band was based there before so most contacts are in that area) who would
like to play in a Dixieland band?  I need cornet, piano, clarinet and drums,
maybe banjo- we'd been doing without due to money issues.
Dear Ron:

Here are some places you might wish to look for new players:

1.  If there are other dixie bands in the area, who wants to play more, or who has a good substitute who would like to play more?
2.  If there is a local jazz society, try it out.  They may hold jam sessions, or allow you to post a classified in their newsletter or on their website.
3.  Ditto for a local banjo club.  Personally, I would start with a banjo player and add the piano player later, for portability reasons.
4.  Try amateur or semi-professional big bands.  The jump from big band to small jazz band is a lot smaller than  the jump from non-jazz types of music to jazz.
5.  Try colleges and universities, especially community colleges, where the players may be established residents of the area.
6.  Post for musicians on Craigslist, www.craigslist.com.  Postings are free, so you have nothing to lose.  There is a Craigslist page just for Rhode Island, and it has a ton of classifieds involving musicians looking for gigs or groups looking for players.  Go to Community, Musicians.
7.  Try any community bands near where you live.  There may be a couple of dixieland wannabes playing with them.
8.  Put up postings in large music stores which cater to band musicians.
9.  Try a newspaper classified, especially in a community newspaper catering to the arts.

I haven't been to Providence for many years.  Once upon a time, there was wonderful seafood restaurant called George's in Gallilee, a small fishing port on the RI coast.  I think it's still there.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX