[Dixielandjazz] Selling your organ for Sax

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 6 13:37:00 PST 2007

That's Sax, not Sex, Paul.

Came across this BBC item while checking the auction price for Bird's metal
sax. Just goes to show how dedicated reed players are. I hope he is getting
some paying gigs.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Moldovan's organ sold for sax

A musician in Moldova has gone to an extraordinary length to get his career
started - by selling his kidney to afford a saxophone.

Sergiu, 23 - who as a professional musician has toured parts of Europe -
sold the kidney to a Turkish hospital for $10,000 (£5,800).

He has since been able to afford the instruments to further his career in
the poverty-stricken eastern European country.

"This is my only profession. All I know is to make music," Sergiu told the
BBC's Romanian service.

"I don't know anything else. I can't do anything else, and my future depends
on these instruments I have," he said.

"They are my daily bread." . . . remainder snipped.