[Dixielandjazz] Thanks to all who responded

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 6 09:01:28 PST 2007

Actually you have touched on two subjects the first one is how far out
should you go and the second is what should a piano player do?

I personally prefer playing off of the melody and I always try to bring the
listener back to it if I have moved very far a field.  I think how far off
you get depends on your taste as well as your proficiency and knowledge of
the tune.  I think be bop type solos or very modern shouldn't be a part of
this kind of music but on the other hand I get a little tired of endless
eighth note patterns too.

As a Soprano Sax player (formerly clarinet) in the head of the tune I am
playing off of the Cornet player.  In counterpoint each line should be able
to stand on it's own as a melody.  So too should whatever  I just played
against the cornet.  My solo will be based on what I just played against the
cornet line with variations.  It doesn't always work out that way but often
it does.  It's particularly handy if I don't really know the tune.

The second part is, should the piano player play the melody behind you?
Most soloists dislike a piano player doing this but there are times it has
it's place.  One example is if the piano player senses that you are off in
seventh heaven somewhere and wants to bring you back to earth.  In this case
a couple of hints won't hurt.   Hey stuff happens!  Too many piano players
(drummers too) don't phrase and a soloist can get off.  This doesn't happen
too often in OKOM because the chord lines are much more to the point but if
you are playing more modern stuff it can get pretty bland like 32 bars of
the same chord.  A good piano player will lead the horns through a solo by
phrasing and melody hints.  The same holds true of singers.  A good piano
player won't let a singer get off in left field.

There is a lot of difference between good and just OK piano players.  Having
said all that there are some piano players who just want to keep that melody
going and I don't particularly care for that.
Larry