[Dixielandjazz] Thanks to all who responded

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Mon Feb 5 01:58:00 PST 2007

Thanks to all who responded to my "What do you play question"   The many  comments were
very helpful.  Is this a great list or what?

A few days ago one of our "mates" wrote an e-mail that  said  " I play a note and then
go to where it suggests".  Or something like that.

I can't find the e-mail, but I would like to explore the concept a little further.

This comment encapsulates how I jam.  I seem to play a note or a few notes and then the
ideas flow within the chord structure of the tune.  The only thing that holds me back
is I sometimes can't find the finger positions on the clarinet for the sounds that I
hear in my head.

My mentor, now deceased trumpeter Joe Ingram, said to never stray too far from the
melody or you loose your listener.

He would roll his eyes if I really got out in left field.

Mary, his keyboard playing wife, would softly play the tune melody as background as I
took off.   I always know where I am however, and I don't need to have the melody
behind my jam.  [ I just need the chords to be clearly stated ] She does it for the
audience, and, maybe, for the rest of the band.

I can play improv independently of the melody line or I can wander off, come back,
wander off and back, etc.

I wonder what other successful players do or recommend?

Russ Guarino
Clarinet Guy

PS:  There is a section in "Limehouse Blues" [ which we play very fast - not much time
to think ] in which my band takes its solos.  I played a certain improv theme first
time I played the section.  A month later, much to my surprise, unconsciously, I played
the same theme again almost note for note. Very unusual, as if my brain fell into the
same vacuole.  Kinda scary.