[Dixielandjazz] The beat of a different drummer

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 6 08:04:09 PST 2007

Too good not to post, though not OKOM. Here is one of the TOP percussionists
in the world, leaving the Chicago Symphony to play . . . GASP/CHOKE  R & R.

Like we always say, Them scraggly Rock & Rock Musos suck big time. :-) VBG.

If anyone wants the full article, write me off list. It is an interesting
story of a man who gave up a secure  $140,000 a year + first class expenses
to earn about $45,000 through Rock & Roll club dates and teaching.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

>From Lead Percussionist to Different Drummer

NY TIMES - By DANIEL J. WAKIN - February 6, 2007

CHICAGO ‹ As the principal percussionist of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra,
Ted Atkatz had reached a pinnacle in his profession.

He had tenure in one of the world¹s great musical institutions, with a fat
salary and benefits. Stagehands set up his battery of instruments. Touring
meant luxury hotels and per diems. And he had, just as precious, the respect
of the percussion world, a singularly obsessive group of musicians who play
the triangle, the bass drum and everything between.

But in May, Mr. Atkatz pulled a modern-day Don Quixote. He quit his job to
devote himself full time to his alternative rock band. He now plays in
joints across the Midwest, sometimes performing for the bartender or, on a
good night, several hundred people. Orchestra Hall? Carnegie Hall? The
Musikverein in Vienna? Forget it. Try the Mousetrap in Eau Claire, Wis., or
Beaner¹s Central in Duluth, Minn.

Mr. Atkatz says he doesn¹t regret his decision. ³I wanted to make sure that
every time I played, I wanted to be passionate about it,² he said. ³Based on
that criterion, it was a no-brainer.² . . . snipped for brevity