[Dixielandjazz] Real, Living Musicians

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Feb 4 20:32:59 PST 2007

There was a guitar player recently at the Sacramento Jazz society
meeting who I found out has a website and a very respectable band
--give it a listen by checking out their website.  I think we need to
pay as much attention to the living as we seem to pay to the deceased.
How about starting up some conversations about bands and musicians that
are alive and currently performing, and keep it going?  In that fashion
we'll be supporting OKOm full tilt.  Think about it, on any sports page
they occasionally pay some homage to the old guys, but the real news is
about who's on the field today, and what they're doing.  Perhaps it
wouldn't hurt to head in that direction.  For example thinking back to
what happened a couple months ago when endless articles were posted
about whether Trumpter King Armstrong  was called Louis or Louie,
seemed to me to have as much relevance as devoting several sports pages
as to how and why Bear Bryant got his name.  Would a newspaper
publisher do such a thing, and expect sales?   Why don't we discuss for
example, upcoming festivals, and who's going to be there, and why we
should go hear them.   We should all become field reporters and report
on the live action stuff forthcoming or recently past, within a week or
two - -for instance, who are the new players? Have you seen one
recently at festival that excites you to no end.. What festival?  Who
were they? What instrument were they playing? Were they an addition to
some tired band, and having them in it seemed to give it a new lift, or
did it not seem to make any difference? I haven't been seeing much of
anything like that.  Send something in that sounds like you've been
listening to real live musicians and not just ones on the old Youtube
flicks.  Get away from celluloid-and-vinly land for awhile.

http://www.hothouseswingband.com/