[Dixielandjazz] Jump Blues -" Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens."

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Sat Feb 3 09:58:56 PST 2007

I've gone back to what seems to be the start of this Jump Blues thread.
I'm certianly happy to see the recognition it has generated for Louis
Prima and louis jordan, both of whom are favoritesof mine. I am
surprised, however, that such a discussion can take place without any
mention of Cab calloway or Nat King Cole.

Cab was mining the "jive" vein of swing throughout the thirties and gave
us such jump/rock precursors as "Straighten Up And Fly Right" and
"Jumpin' Jive". Not a small group setting, for sure, but certainly
spiritually related to all that came later.

People who remember Nat Cole primarily for silky smooth love ballads may
be surprised to learn that he came to the world first as a highly
influential pianist and that many of his earliest recordings were
distinctly in the jump vein. Check out his work with Eddie Cole (his
brother) and his Solid Senders and with the early King Cole trio.  These
were the direct inspiration for Johnny Moore's Three Blazers, Charles
Brown, and eventually Ray Charles, whose recordings showed a heavy Cole
influence before he tumbled on the soul approach that made him a legend.

Hit That Jive, Jack!

Steve Holzer.