[Dixielandjazz] Getting Audience Attention; was I Love This Definition

Jtnt at aol.com Jtnt at aol.com
Sat Feb 3 04:53:42 PST 2007

Don Mopsick wrote, about Jim Cullum's Landing in San Antonio:

<<If the audience is not listening, Jim usually succeeds in getting  their
attention so they do.>>

How true. Once, several years ago when we were there, the band was about to
play some oldie with a soft piano solo in it for the first time. Jim set the
stage with story about the tune and said it required serious listening. A
table  down front apparently didn't hear much of this as their chatter seemed to
get  louder as the place quieted down. Jim restated the need for serious
listening to  no avail. He finally called out to the people at that table something
like  "Would you folks like to listen or would you rather carry on your
conversations  outside!"

He got their attention!

Was a nice tune, too, but don't remember what it was.

Jack Thomas