[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Club

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 3 02:11:49 PST 2007

I realize that Mop's poll for Jazz Clubs is about the U.S.A., but will add
here that they do exist outside the U.S.  Steady working band at one club?
No!  However, one of the clubs in Madrid we work at gives us enough work
that we get basically the same kind of money per year that my wife gets for
full time school teaching.  Is it a Dixieland Jazz Club?  No!  But, it is
when we are there!

Are there other clubs in Spain.  Yes!  We play a total of 4 different clubs
in Madrid, but have become a bit lazy as to chasing down the work in the
others, as this one gives us so much work.  None are Dixieland Jazz, or even
stricktly Jazz.  They are live music venues.

Yes, they do pay more than $40 a man.  They are loud, very, very smoky,
very, very boozy, very, very crowded, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

All types come in to the clubs.  Our main one is in the center of the
tourist part of town, so there are a lot of tourists from all over the
world, plus Spaniards.  Spanish people don't meet in each other's homes,
they go out.  And, out means dinner (after 9pm), & drinks after at a club.
We finish at 1:30am, and sometimes can't get off the stage for the crowds,
and sometimes can't get out the door because of the crowds on the street
(pedestrian area).  Clubs go on until 7am!   I've sent a picture of a
typical crowd to some on DJML.  If anyone would like this little teaser,
write to me.  Beware.  It may entice you onto an airplane & a visit to our
lovely country!

p.s. young American tourists are the hardest to control as far as "talking
levels" goes.  I usually leave the stage & ask them to be a bit quieter,
please!  They, then, are extremely polite, although some do get up and
leave, which is alright, too!

Jim