[Dixielandjazz] I love this definition!

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Feb 2 15:56:47 PST 2007

   I wrote:

<<Your definition applies to clubs that feature so-called "avant" or
post-bop where the band is too hip for the room, and even the most
sophisticated listener has no clue as to what he/she is really hearing.
And
they do pay a lot of money to be seen attending this so-called
"hipness."
And the players, because they think Coltrane is God, are willing to
work for
$40 a night for their "religion.">>

and then Tom replied:

<<Sounds pretty much like everything I have seen with OKOM players too
Don,
so what's the beef ?  :)) The OKOM guys think Louis is God, or Bix,
Teagarden, Sidney, Kenton, or whoever they happen to idolize, and many
won't
even listen to anybody else or play anything other than what they think
is
OKOM.   And the money most of them make is about the same so far as I
can
see, seems to be the way it goes in RELIGIOUS MUSIC :))>>

My beef: that may be everything you have seen, so come on down to San
Antonio and see something new! I know that some old-school-jazz
hobbyists
are willing to work for peanuts at festivals and one-off parties for the
sake of their religion too, but we are talking about jazz nightclubs
here.
Different species.

mopo
Don Mopsick, Riverwalk Webmaster

Here is the list so far:

The Landing       I may actually have been there but it was a long time
ago just don't recall. Been outta Texas a long time thankfully.
                         I will stop in if I get back to those parts
however just to see you guys.

Fritzel’s
            Been there, not impressed  but Better than PH  because at
least it has a Bar, I found it mostly attended by European guys sitting
in so they could add it to their resume about playing on Bourbon street
when they got home :))   Not that there is anything wrong with that it
is the truth. :))  And shameless self promotion is a good thing, and a
durn site better than NO Promotion.

Palm Court Café     Been there before Katrina, a couple of times,

Tipitina's             was there when it was in the Quarter before they
moved it and fancied it up.

What about Pres Hall these days? Open?

    That ain't no night club  it's a toilet with a light bulb that works
if somebody changes it between sets.

Musical content:   "Is that all there is ?"

Come on folks where are all those great Jazz clubs where Professional
Jazz players are working six nights a week, five nights, four nights?
and earning more than $40.00 a night.   I hear tales on this list even
about top level cats in NY only getting $25.00 - $40.00 and they don't
often have 6 nights a week in the same joint either.

The Landing may be the only one left in the USA.   Is that still
considered a "STEADY" gig by the Union down there does not seem to be
any such thing in the rest of the country as a Steady gig of more than
one night a month for OKOM.

Sadly so very very sadly

Tom