[Dixielandjazz] I love this definition!

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Fri Feb 2 13:56:09 PST 2007

I wrote:

<<Your definition applies to clubs that feature so-called "avant" or
post-bop where the band is too hip for the room, and even the most
sophisticated listener has no clue as to what he/she is really hearing. And
they do pay a lot of money to be seen attending this so-called "hipness."
And the players, because they think Coltrane is God, are willing to work for
$40 a night for their "religion.">>

and then Tom replied:

<<Sounds pretty much like everything I have seen with OKOM players too Don,
so what's the beef ?  :)) The OKOM guys think Louis is God, or Bix,
Teagarden, Sidney, Kenton, or whoever they happen to idolize, and many won't
even listen to anybody else or play anything other than what they think is
OKOM.   And the money most of them make is about the same so far as I can
see, seems to be the way it goes in RELIGIOUS MUSIC :))>>

My beef: that may be everything you have seen, so come on down to San
Antonio and see something new! I know that some old-school-jazz hobbyists
are willing to work for peanuts at festivals and one-off parties for the
sake of their religion too, but we are talking about jazz nightclubs here.
Different species.

Here is the list so far:

The Landing

Fritzel’s