[Dixielandjazz] MAKE YOUR CHILDREN ENJOY JAZZ - INSTEAD OF FOOTBALL

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Feb 2 00:13:33 PST 2007

Hi guys:  I am back, was on the run today when I saw that and sent it
to Steve:

We can't MAKE our Children enjoy Jazz  instead of Football, and we
should not TRY to MAKE Them enjoy it, but rather simply find clever
ways to allow them to discover it for themselves.  The Jazz will do
it's own magic on them if it is good, sooner or later.

But dragging them away to be forced to sit at a youth Jazz band concert
on Superbowl Sunday is simply not going to work especially on any kid
who has ever heard of the Superbowl, even if they are not rabid
football fans.   Forcing your kids to do anything has usually never
worked no matter what it is unless it is Drug Rehab and often that does
not even work unfortunately.

Tricking them into going any other SUNDAY WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE
especially if they actually had a good time, but it would be advisable
to take them and a couple of their friends and bribe them with a stop
afterwards at their favorite hangout for food.   Better yet create a
small part time job for them at the event like selling Band Cds or
helping sell memberships, distribute flyers or anything that would make
them actually feel connected to a room full of old folks.  Heck set up
a False Teeth washing concession if you need to. But try to get them
involved.   Maybe tell them to get interviews with the youth bands, and
then submit them to the Jazz Society newsletter etc,  inter action
between the young works like magic.   Let them surprise YOU.

P.S.  I have three sons, one into Pink Floyd, and one into Heavy Metal,
and one into Country music,   the first two bring their kids to hear
Grampa's band when they can.  You think that didn't shock ME, and two
of my grandsons (5 & 9) are already playing the drums, and another one
(9) is on violin, I gave him a video on Jonathan and he was very
inspired.  I have two grandaughters 15,&16  one is a very good singer
and aspiring actress, and the other is majoring in Ipod.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins