[Dixielandjazz] Chigago 1964

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 1 16:38:00 PST 2007

>See below for the info on the right side of the page (click "more")<

Dear Steve,
Oh dear!
I read that blurb just before we went into the city to shop.
Looks like I need new glasses!
But at least I got Wettling right.

> Give the surprise vocalist a break. ........ I'm betting he did it with no
rehearsal.<
It certainly sounds like it.
Don't get me wrong, I am a great admirer of Sammy Davis. It is just that
these entertainment people think they can get away with singing 'our jazz'
without a run-through. You must get it all the time on your gigs.
Even Bing Crosby has inflicted similar stuff on his old jazz mates (Louis
included) which makes me cringe. And I like Bing too.

> Surely Dixieland is the easiest form of jazz to play, no? (If not, what is?)
Tex Wyndham used to regularly gather up high school jazz musicians at a jazz
festival, give them a chord chart of a tune, talk about it for a while and
then teach them to play respectable Dixieland in about a half hour.<

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. You forgot the smiley and the VBG!
Regards,
Bill.