[Dixielandjazz] Cigago 1964 (was Condon/Butterfield/WBD/Cutshall/Schroeder/ Hall /Manone, et al).

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 1 14:04:14 PST 2007

Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-f4WebcSqY&NR
>
> Dear Dear,
> Thanks Steve,
> An interesting film clip.
> A pity that the 'surprise vocalist' couldn't manage to ad-lib a simple
> 'dixieland' tune!
> According to many pop music professionals (singers and musicians) anyone can
> play 'dixieland'.
> Easy!
> Kind regards,
> Bill.
> Anyone identify the bass player and drummer?
> George Wettling and?

Bass player is AL HALL. Wettling is drummer as you say. See below for the
info on the right side of the page (click "more")

"Under the leadership of Eddie Condon we see an all star group playing
"Chicago" Next to Eddie playing his 4 string tenor guitar we see Wild Bill
Davison, Wingy Manone and Billy Butterfield on trumpets, Edmund Hall
clarinet, Vic Dickenson and Cutty Cutshall trombones, Henry Duncan piano, Al
Hall bass and George Wettling drums. There is a vocal by Thelma Middleton
especially written for this occassion by Johnny Mercer. An ad-in vocal as
well by Sammy Davis Jr., This is from special feature film called a "Tribute
to Eddie Condon". It appears that this 1964 music movie which I received
from a collector friend in New Jersey has actually never been issued. ..."

Give the surprise vocalist a break. Did OK in my opinion, and better than
some I hear of the circuit who've been playing/singing Dixieland all their
lives. I'm betting he did it with no rehearsal. ;-) VBG

Surely Dixieland is the easiest form of jazz to play, no? (If not, what is?)
Tex Wyndham used to regularly gather up high school jazz musicians at a jazz
festival, give them a chord chart of a tune, talk about it for a while and
then teach them to play respectable Dixieland in about a half hour.

Cheers,
Steve