[Dixielandjazz] Sandoval - My Experience

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Thu Feb 1 08:46:31 PST 2007

I first became acquainted with Sandoval from someone's reference on DJML regarding his (at that time) new CD "Trumpet Evolution." Great CD, whereby he emulates many of the trumpet styles of the last century.

I heard Sandoval in concert once about 2 years ago, in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, a suburb about 10 miles north of Milwaukee.  He had his regular sax player, a drummer and a pianist. It was held in a High School Fine Arts theater holding about 500 people, with no bad seats in the house, so I had a chance to be close to the band (no problem with the large speakers). He blew the place away with an energetic 1 1/2 hour non-stop concert, mostly on trumpet, but also some piano. When he wasn't playing his horn, he was providing Latin rhythm on a small percussion set he kept near himself. The man obviously has a great feel for music and rhythm. I'm not a salsa fan, but the music was narcotic due to his (and his band's) great energy and enthusiasm.

He came up from Miami that day as the start of a short tour and had arrived just shortly before the concert, apologetic that he wasn't dressed in a suit because his suitcase had not arrived on the flight with him. It made no difference -- he could have been dressed in blue jeans and a sweat shirt. I believe that he was going to spend part of the next day tutoring the local high school jazz ensemble. If the students picked up only 10% of his enthusiasm, they would be all the better for the experience.

If he is in concert in your area, just hearing him play some of his long passages in the high register is worth the price of the ticket.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz