[Dixielandjazz] FW: List Policemen etc.

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Dec 31 14:43:01 PST 2007

You wrote:

> > But Jim, thanks for defending free speech ...

I said nothing at all about free speech.

And you quoted a PRIVATELY SENT message to the PUBLIC LIST.  On many lists,
that will get you kicked off permanently.  I don't know what the rule about
that is here, but I don't do it as a matter of simple courtesy.

However, I _will_ say something about free speech now:

Free speech is the "law of the land" in the USA. It extends pretty far, with
certain limitations.

Free speech is also the principle under which this list operates.  It
extends as far as the list owner/moderator allow it to extend, and their
authority is final.

Those who exercise free speech do so in order communicate information, ideas
and concepts.  Those who want to communicate effectively may want to
consider that if they communicate the same thing too often, others will stop
listening, and they may in fact drive away their audience. Some appear to
forget Mark Twain's advice:  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
rather than speak and remove all doubt."

Personally, I'm amazed that there are so few members of this mailing list.
I would think that there are thousands of OKOM musicians and fans around the
world who would want to subscribe.  My personal belief is that messages
posted here by some individuals have driven a lot of subscribers away.
Heck, I've stopped reading DJML mail -- just deleting it all -- when the
list has gotten too contentious or too preachy for my taste.  So far, I've
always started reading again. I wonder how many others have just said "I
don't need this garbage," and unsubscribed permanently.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers
Email: jobriant at garlic.com