[Dixielandjazz] How to increase Audiences

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 30 14:39:31 PST 2007

Chris Tyle wrote:

>I think all of us on the DJML KNOW that a segment of the audience is
>passing on. I've been working the festival circuit regularly since the
>mid-1980s, and that's always been the case, so the point doesn't need to
>be hammered in with weekly regularity. It's not necessary to state the
>bleedin' obvious, imo.

>But I also see this kind of "truth" as being damaging in the long run.
>There are festivals directors who are some of our listmates, and they
>don't need to be reminded with regularity that their festival audience
>is dwindling. On the other hand, if in our discussions here we can put
>forth positive suggestions on ways to increase those audiences, it makes
>more sense than being "truthful." For example, if a friend is sick,
>which is going to be better, to be truthful and tell them they look bad,
>or try to make them feel better by telling them they look great? There
>are powerful connections between mind and body.

>There's a difference between stating what you believe to be the truth
>and having the sense to be judicious in your choice of words. This is
>what I was alluding to when I mentioned that we would be better off
>being proactive rather than negative, which, btw, was a suggestion and
>not any attempt by me to "police" the list. I don't think any us would
>deny each other their freedom of speech, but there is such a thing as
>being selective in what you write, and having the intelligence to
>understand the difference.

I mostly agree with you here, except about intelligence and selectivity. Let
everyone write what he believes is my credo. Be that as it may, we want the
same thing. More audience.

You should be made aware that the "more audience" thread has been dragged
over the coals by others on the list who find in annoying.

I agree about being proactive and would love to see more of the "how to be
proactive" ideas. Not sure others do.

Also, you should know that when I first posted about declining audiences, I
got hate mail from folks saying that it was not true. Festivals were
growing, the audience was growing etc. You and I knew differently because we
perform in front of audiences and can readily see the changes. The fans and
list mates do not always see it as quickly. Hopefully most do by now.

My opinions about increasing the audience are Marketing givens. Starting
with the idea that music is a product and the band is the manufacturer. If
the manufacturer does not renew his consumer base by getting "new"
customers, he will eventually fail. Same for OKOM. Basically because over a
short time period, 20% of your existing customer base will die off, 10% will
move away, 10% will get mad at you and no longer buy your product and 10%
will suffer financial reverses which make it impossible to buy your product.

Now the above may be a negative to some, but it is a necessary point because
the band/music business is the same as any other business. You need to grow
your customer base. Now here is the positive.

What to do? Like you say, get pro active and bring "new" customers into your
audience. Where do you get them? From the kids, who we both know like this
music when they hear it. Simple as that. How I do that is readily available
from the archives. I'd love to know how others do it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone