[Dixielandjazz] Recordings strongly influenced by others.

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Sun Dec 30 00:12:29 PST 2007

Chris Tyle mentioned being inspired by a live performance of Bent Persson
playing a tune associated with Armstrong.He said words to the effect that
the performance was strongly influenced by Louis but was not a copy.

Persson has recorded 3 cds, "Louis Armstrong's 50 Hot Choruses For Cornet As
Recreated By Bent Persson". These were on the Kenneth label which is from
Sweden

The series actually has 54 tunes and Bent is accompanied largely by
Scandanavian musicians, the music is HOT and took 22 years to reach
completion."All trumpet solos except those copied from the
cylinders.......are improvised by Bent himself". In other words he is trying
to show the spirit of the work rather than duplicate it. Many of the tunes
had not seen the light of day in commercially released recordings by Louis
himself.

The discs were released as CKS 3411, CKS 3412 and CKS 3413. I'm not sure
whether they are still available, perhaps one of our Scandanavian readers
could comment on this, but I can recommend them not only to Armstrong fans
but to anybody wishing to see what improvisation influenced by a performance
by another person can be like without being an attempted copy.

Happy New Year to all.. Glen.