[Dixielandjazz] Tyle's tributes.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 29 12:46:31 PST 2007

> I've done a lot of recordings that might be considered by some to be
> recreations, and I'm not ashamed of having done them. In doing that, I
> feel I'm paying tribute to those great musicians that have come before,
> and perhaps introducing a modern audience to the works of these past
> masters. So, when I did my King Oliver tribute maybe I copied a few things
> from the originals. Big deal. Those people that are bugged by that don't
> have to listen. But I didn't slavishly copy the original recordings; I
> utilized some aspects of them, and inserted things I felt were
> stylistically appropriate. I believe it's paid off. One track from my Bunk
> Johnson tribute was used on the first installment of Ken Burns' Jazz, and
> another CD of mine "New Orleans Wiggle," was given the highest rating by
> the Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD - the ONLY contemporary traditional jazz
> recording to be given that honor.

A very long time ago I made mention onlist about how some of my most
prized CDs are Chris's "tributes".  I can definitely vouch for his claim
that they are in no way slavish copies, because during those early years
of my OKOMity I wanted only "purity" and was actually put off by how
his, say, Oliver or Johnson CDs didn't "deliver" the way I wanted.
Today I listen and marvel at just what works of art they are.  We all
grow up, it seems.

A request, Senor Tyle:  You know there's only one (in my humble opinion)
trumpet player you still need to "tribute" -- Papa Ray.  'Nuff said!