[Dixielandjazz] I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 10:13:29 PST 2007

IMO, that is what he is improvising on. Snatches of the melody are there and
the chord structure is basically the same. I think if he re-titled it, the
owner of the copyright would have a legitimate reason to sue.

One can easily hum the straight melody of I Can't etc., over what Ray is
playing and it fits perfectly.

Regarding tempo, most bands play it faster, but Davern and Peplowski play it
at similar tempo on the album last Arbors album Davern recorded. That album
is:  "Dialogues" Arbors Jazz ARCD 19317. Their rendition is superb.

Ray's take reminds me very much of Coleman Hawkins' take on "Body and Soul"
circa 1940. It was very popular on juke boxes over the next decade or so. No
real statement of the original melody, but a tour de force never the less
and the most popular record Bean ever made.

You can see the music to Hawkins record at the below site. Forget that they
call it a "solo". It is exactly what he played on the record, from beginning
to end. http://www.lucaspickford.com/transcolemansoul.html

Or see/hear it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7J4PgrRsY

Cheers,
Steve Barbone