[Dixielandjazz] Playing in old venues - was - ST GABRIEL'S CELESTIAL BRASSBAND

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Dec 24 09:52:33 PST 2007

Man you brought up memories of Christmas past.  The oldest ballroom still in
existence here in St. Louis is the Casa Loma.  There are three flights of
stairs plus street only parking in a neighborhood that is less than
desirable to walk through at night.  They have armed guards strolling up and
down the street and the one small lot.  They still have big bands on
Saturday night but it's not a money maker.  It's the Salsa dances that keep
the place open.  There is a large Hispanic population in the immediate area
and they love to dance.  I have just about given up on the various big bands
because the pay is just so low.  It takes 45 minutes to get there and
another 45 to get back so you burn an hour on each end of a three hour gig.
Then I get to lug a bari sax and soprano up and down the steps and that is
after walking a block.  Then the princely pay is on a good night $35.
That's not even minimum wage.  It's even less if you count the gas, tux
cleaning and wear and tear on instruments and cloths.

There were many ballrooms in St. Louis when I first started playing.  You
had to be pretty bad to not be able to play somewhere.  Virtually all of
them were on the second or even third floors.  On top of all that there was
no AC.

About 1970 I booked a NYEve gig at a frat house for St. Louis U medical
college.  It was in the penthouse on a 9 story building.  That translates
into 18 flights of steps.  The elevator wasn't working.  I had all the band
equipment to move up the stairs and of course back down again.  Today I
would say screw it but I needed money very badly back then so up the steps I
went.

I played a tour in Ecuador with the AF and we were staying in a very nice
hotel.  BTW there was a killer sax quartet that played the lounge.  They all
had new Selmer instruments.  Between them they had two Bari's, Two Tenors,
Three Altos and three Sopranos.  Any instrument is horribly expensive there
so I have no idea how those guys came up with those horns.

Ecuador is somewhat challenged to get electricity to people in any sort of
reliable way.  The hotels have generators and everyone uses laptops there
because of the power problems.  The elevator in the hotel would stop and all
the lights would go out.  About 15 seconds later the hotel generator would
kick in and the elevators would then reset themselves by going to the top
floor and then to the basement.  Then you had to hit the button for your
floor and you just might get there if the elevator hadn't completely lost
it's mind.  This happened almost every time I got in the elevator while we
were in Quito.

It's funny how that stuff gets heavier with time.  Mine has too.  I charge
$25 extra for steps but I'm getting to a point where if they have them I'm
thinking about not taking the gig but on the good side there is only one
place where I have to carry things up about 6 steps.  Other than that I
haven't carried stuff up steps for about 5 or 6 years.  The last place was
at a local micro brewery that has a room upstairs.  That was a drag.
Larry
St. Louis