[Dixielandjazz] ST GABRIEL'S CELESTIAL BRASS BAND

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Dec 22 11:18:28 PST 2007

I was telling another list mate a couple of days ago that I missed Tom and
appreciated his insights.

I missed that bit on Ike Turner - too bad.  I played for awhile in the 80's
at the Imperial Ball Room Where Ike and Tina played.  It's on the top floor
of the building and as I recall taking equipment up all those flights of
steps nearly killed us.  We eventually used the fire escape which had fewer
flights and was right off the band stand.  Imagine taking a Leslie cabinet
up and down a fire escape.  You had to be tough to play music back then or
at least a weight lifter.  I wasn't sad to see that gig come to an end.
Larry
St.Louis