[Dixielandjazz] Messiah & Saints

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 23 14:22:59 PST 2007

Chris Tyle <jazzchops at isp.com>

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> An interesting point, to me at least, is made there. Why focus on exacting
>> re creations of older tunes in order to be "authentic"? Why not play an
>> "incorrect" version? Or why not play one's own updated version to "set its
>> offering apart from the crowd."?
>>
>> There are at least 2 bands among the plethora of Dixieland Bands in the
>> Philadelphia area that differentiate in this manner. The Barbone Street Jazz
>> Band and Ed Wise's New Orleans Jazz Band.
>>
>> I can't speak for Ed, but we do it to better communicate to our target
>> audiences. (young people) It works much better than when we started as a
>> band 17 years ago that re-created the George Lewis sound. We now perform for
>> new, growing audiences of young folks. That counteracts our other
>> performances before declining audiences of old folks (they are dying off)
>> and therefore increases our overall audience numbers annually.
>>
> Steve, why can't people just do what they want to do? It seems like
> every week you write the same post telling us that the only way to keep
> traditional jazz going is your way.

Musically, people can, and should do what they want. (That's why I defend
Kenny G., rap and avant garde etc.) There is absolutely nothing in the above
post that tells anyone that "the only way to keep traditional jazz going is
my way." There will always be an audience for every kind of music
imaginable, though perhaps some are, or will be, quite small.

> There is nothing wrong with jazz chestnuts, if that's what you want to play,
> nor recreations, if that's what floats your boat. If there is an audience, no
> matter what age, what's the difference?

I agree completely that chestnuts are wonderful and bands should play
whatever they want. However the real difference is that for many bands, the
re-creation audience and that for trad jazz is getting smaller and dying
off. I think some of us are still in a state of denial about that.

> I remember attending a performance of an "all-star" group a few years
> ago. Everyone in the band sounded tired and bored, and looked the same.
> Good players but I had the feeling they would rather have been watching
> TV or playing golf than playing music. Better to see a group of
> musicians enjoying what they are doing, even if it is a recreation, than
> to witness an apathetic performance.

I agree that stage presence is a huge part of the communication. As for
re-creations, I am not a huge fan. If Benny, or Louis, or whomever has
already done it, then why repeat it again note for note? For me it will
neither be as good as the original nor meaningful as a communication. For
me, it would be like reading a book first by the original author, and then,
almost word for word from a copyist who didn't get it quite the same.

Someone else mentioned that the solos on Glenn Miller songs should be played
as written/played by the Miller band. That is not for me either. However, if
other folks enjoy re-creations, that's fine by me. There is a small niche
audience for them so why not play to that niche?

We all choose to play to whomever we want. The purpose of my post was to ask
the question "Why not play an incorrect version"? While drawing a parallel
between Trad Jazz and Classical Music's "Messiah" of the NY TIMES article.

Why do some symphonies play "incorrect" versions of Messiah? To draw more
audience. They have the exact same audience problems that we jazzers have.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone