[Dixielandjazz] Rehearsal in Public Places

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 23 14:34:02 PST 2007

"Ric Giorgi" <ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca> wrote (polite snip)

> Most of my rehearsal experience is in the 'classical' area so the
> idea of rehearsing in public never got to first base with me.

Hello Ric:

You triggered a memory with the above. My Mom lived alone in NYC in the
1980s and 90s. One of her big moments every week was to go to the rehearsal
of the NY Philharmonic, (Wednesday afternoons) at Carnegie.

They were the Orchestra's last run through before the weekend performance at
Carnegie Hall, or later Lincoln Center.

The charged senior citizens $2, I think, to attend these "open" rehearsals,
perhaps more for younger folks. Always had a good audience.

Mom took the train from Flushing to Manhattan well into her 80s to attend
them and she loved it, hearing some great music.

Of course, the musicians got paid for those rehearsals, via contract.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone