[Dixielandjazz] I miss whoever that was

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Dec 23 13:27:07 PST 2007

Carol,

I think Tom Wiggens gets high paying gigs in the Bay Area (and
similarly, Steve Barbone does on the East Coast) for three big
reasons - 1st, he works his butt off promoting his band, 2nd, he does
have lots of contacts and connections to a broader field of musical
styles and performers, and 3rd, he just won't take the lower paying
jobs!

It has been pointed out a few times on this list that there is a
surplus of good OKOM bands in the Bay Area and a lot of us work too
cheap (I am guilty of that, sometimes - but I am a sideman - not a
band leader.) There are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of other kinds of
bands in our area also looking for gigs - some will even "Pay to
Play." Even though the local unions do next to nothing for our kind
of music performances we need to somehow promote the idea of
demanding decent payment for our music. With the costs for
instruments, fuel, parking, hotels, food and other expenses, getting
$60 or even $100 for a gig is barely breaking even!

By the way - local San Jose area New Years Eve gigs were paying $200
a man minimum 20 years ago - should be $500 or more now, but that
isn't gonna happen...

We have to be professional about this, but it won't be easy...
otherwise it will just be a low paying hobby (and it seems some on
this list are fine with that.)

Solidarity!
Somehow!

Dave Richoux