[Dixielandjazz] Handel's "Messiah"

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 21 11:58:20 PST 2007

> Another example is "In the Mood"

You know I'm really torn about written solos.  Typically I hate to play
written solos but there are some I really like to hear the same way.  That
goes for virtually all of the Miller solos.

I don't think I ever heard anyone improve on the "In The Mood"  solo.
Technically the tenor solo is very difficult to pull off.  That two octave
drop to the low Bb is difficult and the solo utilizes the full range of the
horn.  If your horn isn't working perfectly and your reed and mouthpiece
aren't perfectly matched or if you don't have the chops it just won't
happen.  I have heard dozens of guys just dunce through that solo including
myself a few times.  There may be others but I know of only one tenor player
here that can hit it every time.

I think most don't play it because they can't and stand behind some
intellectual reason or simply the tried and true "It's my reeds fault".

I think, first demonstrate that you can play it then improve on it.  While
the latter is real subjective, I can't remember a single improvisation that
anyone has made including my own that I felt was an improvement or even
equal to the written.  The new Miller band was on TV some time back and all
solos were improvised which IMHO marred an otherwise perfect performance.
They all seemed to me to be top players.   Not a single solo was even
remotely memorable whereas I can remember almost every one of the original
perfectly.

As I said I am really torn about written vs. improvised solos but just
because it is improvised doesn't make it better.  Virtually every time I
have heard someone improvise that particular solo it has left me cold and
there is an immediate comparison and I think better luck next time.

As a musician I really don't like written solos for all the reasons you
mentioned but as a listener to Miller and some others I just can't get past
them.  How can you improve something that is virtually perfect?  Why would
you want to?

Having said that improvisation is the heart and soul of jazz so I simply
don't consider the Miller music to be in my definition of jazz.  That way
there is no conflict.
Larry
St. Louis