[Dixielandjazz] Handel's "Messiah"

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Fri Dec 21 10:06:27 PST 2007

I am most supportive of Steve Barbone's suggestion about getting past staid, exact re-creations and re-framing the music so that it connects with the current audience.

Many years ago in the Warner Brothers stores, they had a marvelous video of an all-star choir performing an upbeat, rhythm-driven version of the Hallelujah Chorus.  It took me a while to track it down on CD; it is the final track on "Handel's Messiah, a Soulful Celebration."  The CD itself uses a wide variety of performers and musical styles.  The HC is, in my opinion, one of the most joyous, life-filled celebrations I have heard.  In my humble and very personal opinion, traditional versions pale next to it.  When I play it for them, older "traditionalists" hate it and comment that it is not they way it was originally written, but younger folks love it.  If it keeps the music alive, why not???

Another example is "In the Mood" on the Brian Setzer Big Band's Christmas album.  Traditional melody/solo musical line, but delivered in a new, fresh way...

Keep the innovation/freshness alive!!!

Tim Eldred
Roseville, CA