[Dixielandjazz] Sit Ins

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Sun Dec 16 11:12:27 PST 2007

I fully agree with what's been said on this subject. My college
group played a private party this last Friday and a guy showed
up with his tenor and said he hadn't touched it in about 20
years. It took him about 3-4 tunes to get warmed up, then he was
pretty good. Like your situation with the guitar player, we all
noticed that he was a good player at one time.

Out here in the Denver area, most bands don't mind you sitting
(some even encourage it) in if they know you. What I first did
was asked the band(without my horn in hand) if I could come sit
one of these nights when you are playing here.

Most bands will generally consider it and some will not. Either
way, most will appreciate you asking them before you bring your
horn with you. In one case, the bandleader asked me to attend
one of his rehearsals before I sat in. I still play with that
group from time to time as a sub.

A lot of bands have a "no sit in until the second set" rule that
seems to be somewhat standard. I've also noticed that the bands
who do let you sit in are very encouraging and tell you some
other places and bands who might let you sit in our need a few
extra men.

Mike