[Dixielandjazz] Sit Ins

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Dec 15 23:43:12 PST 2007

I do allow sit ins if they are directly related to the gig or the client
even if they are for shit.  I was working a home and some old guy wanted to
sit in on guitar.  He was terrible and loud but you could tell that he had
been a fair player at one time.  The recreation coordinator loved it and I
got two more gigs off of that one.  One with my 7 pc band.

I too let guys sit in if I know them and that they can play but that almost
never happens because of the nature of my gigs.

I have a pretty strict personal code about sitting in.  First I have only
one time ever asked to sit in with a band who didn't know me.  I never ask
to sit in with bands who I know unless the leader ASKS me, then it will be
only for a couple of tunes.  I thank them and sit down.

I have a personal etiquette that I don't violate for any reason.  I'm not
there to work and I'm not there to inflict myself upon someone or to make
anyone uncomfortable.  That's not to say that there hasn't been times when I
would have liked to sit in.

I guess I'm different.  I have never sat in with bands to get experience.
Everything I know was the result of paid gigs from age 15 and playing with
groups in the AF bands.  You don't play with groups in the AF unless you
know pretty much what you are doing.  There is a pecking order there too.
When I first got in I didn't play much with the jazzers but over time I got
in the protocol combo but that was by invitation and became part of my job.

Everyone makes mistakes and sucks when they start but I sort of fail to see
how sitting in on three or four tunes can compare with a four hour gig or do
anyone much good.  Gigs focus the mind and you pretty quickly get over the
sucking stage because if you don't you don't get any more.

I think that an aspiring musician should put together a group and book it.
That's what I did when I was young and still do.  I have a friend who plays
pretty fair guitar and only fair piano.  He sings well and as long as he is
using his book he is good.  Put him on someone else's book - look out.    My
friend is very good at HIS game in his ball park.

I suggest forming your own group because you are at a distinct disadvantage
when someone else can call the tunes (that you don't know) and the keys
(oops I can't play in E ) and the speeds ( damn that's fast).

My advice is put together your best 50 tunes and look for a gig.  Who cares
if you don't have any depth as long as the 50 are good.  Musicians follow
the money. If you have gigs you can hire the best musicians that will make
you look very good.

If you can't do that then find several people who want to play and form a
basement band.

We had a young lady sit in with us on rehearsals.  She has good to excellent
technique but she hasn't a clue as to how to swing.  With her it's all notes
with little music coming out.  Her dad thinks she's wonderful.  Privately
band members came to me and let me know in no uncertain terms that they
didn't like her sitting in.  I'm not running a school for young aspiring
jazzers.  I think the only one that aspires is her dad.  She's sitting in
with the big band her dad plays with on third trumpet.  I could tell that
she thought she was in heaven and really swinging or else she has been
taking smile lessons from the Mona Lisa.

If there was an establishment available that encouraged sit in's then I
would personally go and give it a try but even then there is an etiquette
about it.  Like Steve said take a chorus and let someone else have a go.
Play a tune and sit down, have a beer, enjoy.  I wouldn't fool myself into
believing that I was getting some magical experience by playing three or
four tunes whenever.

I have been invited several times by leaders to come and play.  Other
musicians in the band didn't always take it well.  I was asked by a very
fine banjo player to sit in with his band.  The tuba player was a complete
jerk about it so I packed up and left.  It wasn't even his band.  I don't
need that stuff.
Larry
StL