[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Dec 15 11:26:03 PST 2007

As Kash says, this subject has been beaten to death here on DJML.

First, let me say, there is a big difference between pro and hobby musicians
and pro and hobby bands.

Since it is very difficult, if not practically impossible these days, to
make a living playing OKOM, most pro OKOM musicians have day gigs, have
wives who have day gigs, or are retired from their day gigs.  IMO, this does
not make them an amateur.  For this post, I am considering the word amateur
or professional to apply to the quality of musicianship and not to whether
the musician has a day gig or not.

I, of course qualify the above statement by acknowledging that there is the
Cullum band in San Antonio and a hand full of quote all-stars quote who do
make a living at it. . . These full-time musicians are   few and far
between.

Thus, while a band such as mine, the Fulton Street jazz Band, is a pro band.
We play professional quality music, and treat the music business as a
business, All of the guys do have day gigs.

When you talk about letting aspiring jazz musicians sit in with you, you
have to separate  the hackers, the ones with true potential and of course,
the true professional.

First of all, you will seldom see a real pro bring his ax into a venue
without being asked.  When a musician does this, it is a huge clue that you
are dealing with a rank amateur, or someone who you do not want sitting in
on your band.

As a rule, I do not like sit-ins.  Of course there is always the exception
to the rule.  Unless the musician sitting in is a young kid (most audiences
love to see a youngster on stage with the pros), or a very fine, known pro,
I avoid sit-ins.

It is my opinion that we, as a band, have worked very hard to play the best
quality music that we   can.  having most sit-ins diminishes the quality of
the music we have worked so hard to perfect.

Also, the client is not paying for amateurs to be sharing the stage with us.

Again, I say there is exceptions to every rule.  Steve likes to have young
sit-ins and presents   them to the audience in such a way that it works.

But, allowing for the exception, which I am sure some Listmates will name,
(I am unable to name every exception possible here) this is my opinion on
sit-ins, and the way I handle them.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See our new CD, www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

"I can resist everything except temptation."  --Oscar Wilde, 1854 - 1900