[Dixielandjazz] Sitting in

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 11:15:35 PST 2007

<<The way I "sat in" was by listening to every single Firehouse Five  Plus
Two
album and playing along until I knew the songs cold.  But  without the
patience of certain band leaders over the years, I never would  have been
able to hone my skills into something useful and  entertaining.

With so few venues today, perhaps the best advice for  aspiring players is
KNOW the tunes, KNOW the keys and practice w/a metronome  on 2 and 4 until
you acquire some time.  That'll make it easier to  train drummers later on.
At least then when you sit in you'll make a  positive impression (if you
don't upstage the leader or go after the trumpet  player's chick).

Dave Gannett
TUBAGEAR.COM>>

This is by far and away the best music lesson I've seen on this list in a
very, very long time.

I wholeheartedly second everything Dave says, including and especially the
metronome trick.

Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargentBands.com

Just released:  "The Best Of Bill Sargent Bands - Volume 1"

Available at:  http://billsargentbands.com/recordings.htm