[Dixielandjazz] Musical Variations - was fugues.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 11 15:19:16 PST 2007

>  On the other hand, unsupported solos, off-beats and other such things
> in an unrehearsed situation can be deadly! (for the best example of
> what I mean, try a listen to the Bonzo Dog Band's recording of "Jazz:
> Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold."
> http://tinyurl.com/yquywj

Dear Dave,
I couldn't agree more.
However, as there was no smiley, I hope that you had your tongue firmly
in your cheek when you quoted the Bonzo Dog's "Jazz: Delicious Hot,
Disgusting Cold."
A great send-up (in the grand Jonathan & Darlene Edwards' tradition)
played by a group of British studio musicians led by cornetist Bob Kerr
of his own 'Whoopee Band' fame.
Playing it now.
One of the best humorous send ups of 'dixieland', that can only be done
by people who know and love it.
And certainly not as cruel as  "Dixieland Stomp [Moldy Fig Stomp]" by
Chubby Jackson and his Jacksonville Seven:
Charlie Shavers (t) J.J. Johnson (tb) Coleman Hawkins (ts) Harry Carney
(bar) Teddy Wilson (p) John Collins (g) Chubby Jackson (sb) Shadow
Wilson (d) recorded in New York for Victor on 4 Dec 1946.
Kind regards,
Bill.